As my earlier post pointed out, compound exercises are the key to muscle growth. It works out multiple muscles and allows you to do your workout in less time thus allowing more time for recovery. Plus the sooner you ditch the gym the sooner you can start drinking whatever nasty protein drink you drink.
Here is my current leg workout:
Exercise Sets Reps
Barbell Squats 2 5-8
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 2 5-8
Lying Leg Curls 2 5-8
Standing Calf Raises 2 10-12
Leg Extension 2 5-8
Dumbbell Lunge 1 Failure
Cable Crunch 2 10-12
Crunches 1 10-12
As you can see, I perform both leg and abs exercises on the same day so I went ahead and included those as well. I have a home gym so I’m limited in my equipment, but I would recommend adding in a leg press if you have one handy wherever you workout at. Before starting on your squats you need to also make sure to preform a proper warm-up to prevent injury.
This just needs to be something that gets your heart rate up such as jogging for five minutes to warm your body up and get the blood flowing. Stretching beforehand is unnecessary and some will argue that it is even harmful. As with everything in life, you should research this for yourself and make up your own damn mind.
This just needs to be something that gets your heart rate up such as jogging for five minutes to warm your body up and get the blood flowing. Stretching beforehand is unnecessary and some will argue that it is even harmful. As with everything in life, you should research this for yourself and make up your own damn mind.